Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Halloween Traditions



With only three days before Halloween, I thought I would reminisce on some of my family's traditions. My mom always makes delicious chili on Halloween. We usually eat it with oyster crackers and hot apple cider! Yum! We used to turn all of the lights off during the week of Halloween and sing, "Witches sailing through the sky, on their broomsticks way up high. Black cats howl as they go by, for this is Halloween! Jack-o-lanterns big and round, on each gatepost can be found, ghosts and goblins all around, for this is Halloween! Oooo, this is Halloween! Oooo, this is Halloween! Let us borrow an old sheet, make a costume nice and neat, and go walking down the street, for this is Halloween! To the windows we will creep, with our ugly faces peep, scare the folks who are asleep, for this is Halloween! Oooo, this is Halloween! Oooo, THIS IS HALLOWEEN!!! The song used to give me the willies (it also scares my nephew, Zac). I also have fond memories of carving pumpkins together as a family. I absolutely loved the detailed patterns we used to buy at the store. Not to toot my own horn, but, all in all, I am a gifted pumpkin carver! I just wish pumpkins would last longer so that I could admire my handiwork months after the actual carving. Well, that sums up my family's Halloween traditions. What are some of your traditions?

4 comments:

Andrea, Mrs. said...

Our tradition as a kid was trying to convince Dad it was okay to go trick-or-treating. He hates Halloween. *sigh*

eclaires said...

Yeah, my mom's not a huge fan of Halloween, so we don't really have any traditions that I can think of. I mean trick-or-treating, sure... but besides that... not much. And I'm okay with that. I like admiring other people's carved pumpkins, and elaborate costumes.

Garrett and Rebecca said...

Brian did you know that ever since our watermelon carving group date years ago, I have liked doing the intricate patterns also. I want to see your work so put up some pics.

Heather Walker said...

Your family is so much fun! I love you guys! Hopefully you took pics of your pumpkins, then you can admire them forever. That's what I do with my cakes!